I find Mother’s Day to be kind of a racket. Considering I’m a mom, you’d think that I’d enjoy it… but not so much. Over the years I found that it’s become so commercialized that actually getting out on the day and doing something for your mother (or yourself) can be quite stressful. So this year, I decided to turn the day into a weekend and not really buy into expectations and the hype. I found that these three steps worked and I’d do it again next year.
First. Get out of town. The girls and I love to go on quick road trips. We choose to stay at the West Inn & Suites in Carlsbad, CA for a few of reasons.
- We’ve been here before and loved it. The staff is friendly and wonderfully accommodating. PS – They are pet friendly.
- It’s in Carlsbad. Close enough to downtown San Diego, but far enough away.
- The rooms are suites. Meaning the girls and I get our own space. Very important when you have kids! The beds are really comfortable and our room came with a view of the pool.
- The beach is close and the West Inn & Suites offers a pop up beach day! There is a shuttle that will take you to the beach. The West Inn also provides everything you need for a perfect day at the beach. Including a cooler with goodies.
- The food. Every morning there is a really nice complimentary breakfast buffet. Bistro West is also right next door offering pasta, pizza, salads, seafood, burgers, and fantastic desserts! It’s also nice to know that they use the freshest ingredients harvested from The West Farm. We were not disappointed.
Second. Find something different to do. The Museum of Making Music. Really it’s a journey through the history of music with the benefits of hands on! It was so hard to get the kids out of there.
Bravo to the sweet hostess at Bistro West for recommending Cafe Topes, another farm to table place. We showed up early, because we heard it gets crazy busy and they tell me that it wasn’t just because it was Mother’s Day weekend. Baked goods are all in house! The cinnamon roll was amazing. I didn’t care for the icing, but I think that I’m a minority, everywhere I looked people were getting those things smothered. The girls and I have a new goal… try all of the Benedicts that Cafe Topes has to offer. Benedicts range from classic to Joely (smoked salmon, brie cheese, and capers on a
bagel). You must check
out the menu.
Down the road in Solana Beach you will find The Tidewater Tavern. It’s a laid back, friendly beach tavern where locals and tourists come together playing pool, drinking beer, and eating great food. Favorites here are the burgers, Jamaican fish sandwich, hummus and veggie plate, homemade potato chips, and calamari tacos.
Mother’s Day mission accomplished. The girls and I had a fantastic laid back weekend. I’d do it again next year.