The classic dish of hummus is made from blended chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, and is commonly found in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisine. It can be served as a dip or spread. While you may already know that hummus is made from chickpeas, here are some additional facts about this delicious snack:
– Hummus is a good source of vitamin B, which can also help prevent birth defects.
– The earliest written mention of hummus can be traced back to 13th-century Cairo, where it was included in cookbooks.
– Hummus is high in iron, thanks to the combination of chickpeas and tahini.
– Some believe that hummus can aid in digestion.
– In 2010, Lebanon held the world record for the largest dish of hummus, weighing in at over 23,000 pounds.
all I see is hummus https://t.co/0zJnA4oqS2
— sophia (@SophiaArmen) October 19, 2019
– Hummus has been shown to help lower cholesterol levels.
– The majority of the world’s chickpeas come from India.
– Hummus is often thought of as a natural aphrodisiac due to its ingredients, including iron, magnesium, and potassium.
– The main difference between various hummus recipes is the amount of cumin and tahini used. Some Turkish versions even use butter instead of olive oil.
– Sabra, a popular hummus brand, offers 12 different types of hummus.
– Studies have suggested that hummus may help people maintain their health during cancer treatment.
– One cup of hummus contains about 15 grams of fiber, making it a good source of beneficial fibers.
– It is not uncommon for people to ask Google if hummus is Greek, Jewish, Moroccan, or from any other country in the Middle East.
– The largest hummus plant in the world is in Virginia.
-In Israel, hummus is considered a national dish and can be found in nearly every restaurant and cafe.
-Hummus can be made with other beans besides chickpeas, such as white beans or black-eyed peas.
-Some variations of hummus include the addition of roasted vegetables, herbs, or spices.
-Hummus is a good source of plant-based protein and can be a suitable alternative to meat for vegetarians.
-The chickpeas used in hummus are often soaked overnight before being cooked to soften them and make them easier to blend.
There are many different ways to enjoy hummus, and it can be served as a dip for vegetables, crackers, or pita bread. It can also be used as a spread for sandwiches or wraps. In addition to being a tasty snack, hummus is also a healthy choice as it is high in protein and fiber and low in fat.
Hummus is easy to make at home, and there are countless variations and flavors to try. Some popular variations include adding roasted red peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, or caramelized onions for added flavor. You can also mix in herbs and spices such as cumin, paprika, or garlic for added depth of flavor.
While hummus is commonly associated with Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisine, it has gained popularity around the world and can now be found in many grocery stores and specialty shops. In addition to being a delicious and healthy snack, hummus is also a great option for vegetarians and those following a plant-based diet as it is made from beans, a plant-based protein source.
So the next time you reach for a snack, consider trying some hummus. Not only is it tasty and satisfying, but it is also good for you. With so many different flavors and variations to choose from, there is sure to be a hummus that everyone will enjoy.
One Comment on “Hummus Facts”
Comments are closed.