Written by singer and songwriter Ella K Sol.
Check out her debut EP Hello My Name Is here:
OK, so like most of the country, Nashville just experienced a horrendous ice and snowstorm. And while I LOVE the snow it did start me thinking about my favorite summertime activities and how I couldn’t wait to get my friends together and experience the lazy days of summer again! – Ella
- Serendipity: Serendipity is by far one of my favorite places to shop in the cutest of Nashville neighborhoods, 12South. And if you’re with your best friends then this is the place to go. I’d classify their clothes as indie chic. They have some beautiful stuff, and their cozy free-floating ambiance makes it a great experience. So, bring your friends, put on a fashion show and shop for unique gifts.
- Gaylord Opryland Hotel: I know you are thinking “why go to a hotel?” but this is not just ANY hotel! This place has over 9 acres of tropical gardens and waterfalls, complete with a little delta riverboat cruise. Also, I have heard their new waterpark, SoundWaves, is amazing!!! The Opryland Hotel is always beautiful in any season and is one of the staples of Nashville. My friends and I love to walk around and enjoy the shops and pretend we are in a tropical paradise!! A fun getaway without leaving town!
- Cheekwood Gardens: this is one of my all-time favorites to go with friends. Cheekwood offers both its beautiful botanical gardens to wind through outside but it also features fabulous art exhibits. Recently I saw their Chihuly show and was mesmerized at how beautiful it was walking the paths all lit up at night. Coming up this summer is Sean Kenney’s Nature POP! Made with Lego bricks!! I can’t wait!! Definitely worth a late afternoon stroll when the sun is starting to go down.
- Canoe on Harpeth: this one’s for me and my outdoorsy friends. Canoeing is so much fun, and so is kayaking! You can do both down the lazy Harpeth River and soak up sun and water and fun! Tip-A-Canoe is one of many outfitters that will take good care of you. Put this at the top of your list and spend the day outside!!
- Biking the Natchez Trace: This is part two of my most perfect day ever with my outdoorsy friends. Biking down the Natchez Trace! And even for those lazier, hotter days you can drive your car instead. Just crank the A/C and the tunes and sing and car dance your way through the beautiful and scenic drive towards Mississippi!! Whether you bike or drive, there are tons of places to stop along the way and explore the many trails and stop for a picnic lunch. And don’t forget your phone for all the beautiful photo ops especially on the Natchez Trace Parkway Bridge!
- Roller Derby: This is a unique and super fun way to spend an evening with friends in Nashville. I’m not sure what the 2021 schedule will shape up to be but if the season is a go this is a must see! One of my neighbors used to be on the team and my family would have so much fun watching her weekend matches. If you and your friends like a rough and tumble athletic battle, then come out and support the Music City Brawl Stars and enjoy the show!!
- Are you and your friends more of the theatrical types? No problem, I got you covered, the Tennessee Performing Arts Center (TPAC for locals) is one of my favorite places to catch a play or a musical. The travelling productions are always high quality and the latest and greatest to choose from. I know due to Covid-19 many shows have been postponed but TPAC is hopeful to have something live soon and entertain us like the good ole days!! Keep your eyes open for those opportunities. I last saw Hamilton and Dear Evan Hanson and was blown away!
- Belcourt Movie Theatre: As much as I enjoy summer, it can sometimes get super-hot in Nashville and you just need a break from the heat. The Belcourt Theater is a great, cool place for chill time with your friends to enjoy indie films and throwback favorites and is also located in another favorite Nashville neighborhood, Hillsboro Village. If you are looking for a laid-back evening or afternoon, you and your friends definitely need to check out the movie schedule at this Nashville treasure!
- Pinewood Social: If you and your friends are looking for a trendy night on the town then Pinewood Social is a great place to check out. A dine-in experience with amazing food, complete with a bocce ball court and indoor bowling, Pinewood Social offers a perfect night of food and fun! 🙂 The ambiance feels very retro and the crowds are always festive. Go to improve you’re bowling skills, laugh with your friends and devour a yummy cheeseburger with fries!https://www.instagram.com/p/CLet0mPByEu/
- Nashville Shores: Lastly, for some classic summer fun with friends, we like to meet up at Nashville Shores! Another staple for all ages, it offers a full day of classic waterpark slides and pools along with ziplines, ropes course and pontoon boat rentals. We get there as soon as the park opens and are happy to stay until closing time. In the summer they also offer Dive-In movie nights where we can watch a classic on the big screen while still swimming. It’s the best way to come home happy, tired and a little sunburned, wanting to do it all again tomorrow!